Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Summertime

Wow, I am doing a horrible job of keeping this thing up to date. Sorry about that! We got busy with end-of-school stuff, and then beginning-of-summer stuff, and since then I've been more or less asleep or doped up on allergy meds the whole time.

Anyway, the boy child is doing really well so far this summer. We haven't had any bug problems since school ended (knock wood) so that has made things MUCH less stressful around here. We're finished with swimming lessons and the boy is now swimming like a fish with no hesitation whatsoever! He still doesn't want to go in the deep end or go down the slide (which is IN the deep end) at our neighborhood pool, but he's swimming underwater and generally having a fine old time WITHOUT floaties, which is huge progress for him.

Several weeks ago he became a recommended black belt in taekwondo, and he is so proud of himself, as he rightly should be. I have to admit, I got a little teary at the ceremony when I thought of how far he had come and how this represented so much more to him than just getting a cool belt to wear with his uniform. I couldn't believe how well he did with his sparring considering he has had so many problems with that due to his sensory defensiveness. You never would have known to see him sparring at his belt graduation! He was aggressive as all get-out, which I have NEVER seen with him before. Yay, boy child! He's going to have to work pretty hard to turn his recommended black belt into a "decided" black belt, but he can do it. When the instructor put his new belt on him, she asked him what his next goal was and he said, "Grandmaster!" That's my boy!

The girl child is also having a good summer so far. She had a lot of social problems at school this year so that particular anxiety has been eliminated, at least temporarily. We are seeing definite manic and depressive stages with her, along with mixed-state rages and plenty of rapid cycling, but she has been on a MOSTLY even keel for the past several days. I've noticed she does much better when she gets lots of extra attention, so I've been trying to give that to her as best I can. She has become really helpful around the house and has taken to calling herself "mini-mom" as she helps me fold laundry or unload the dishwasher or whatever. Hey, if being my free child labor makes her happy, I am all for it! (Kidding!)(But only a little!)

We're still in the process of trying to get a second opinion/confirmation on her diagnosis in order to come up with some sort of treatment plan, but it hasn't been easy. DH has done quite a bit of legwork trying to get it all pre-approved by our insurance and comparing our provider list with recommendations we received from Dr. H. There was only ONE name on both lists, and we called to get on the waiting list to see him but it's a complicated process (we had to call on the 1st of the month to get on a call-back list, and we're still waiting for the call back, which is supposed to come this week). Apparently there's a shortage of child psychiatrists here in town. Thank God she's not actually in crisis right now, huh? It's beginning to look like the only way to actually get her on medication, if/when that's what we decide to do, is to get her admitted through the ER or something. Yeah, don't get me started.

Well, I'm going to stop at that brief/incomplete update for now. I will TRY TRY TRY to update more often. Like I always say.