Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Books and bacon, all in the same day!

Well, the kids and I had a very nice outing today. I had been promising them we'd get cards for the library closest to our house, but we hadn't gotten around to it yet (and also, it's $40 for a family card because we're outside the city limits, which is kind of a lot of money -- I could buy, like, almost FOUR books with that!) so we went today. The process was much less arduous than what I remember from the last time I got a card there, which was several years ago when the boy was just a baby. They've also remodeled the library since then and it's now VERY nice and really well-organized, but still small enough that the kids and I can wander around a bit and not get lost from one another.

Nearly the entire ground floor is given over to kid stuff, which is nice. I thought the kids would take a long time looking at EVERY SINGLE SHELF, but they really didn't at all. I know the boy likes science, so I kind of led him back to that section and he looked at a few books, then begged off to check out the kids' computers. The girl child quickly selected a book about ice cream and another about prehistoric ocean predators and then she, too, headed for the computers. When I finally pried them away from the technology, we went upstairs to where the non-kid books were. The girl settled into a study carrel to look at her books while the boy checked out the math/logic books and I browsed the cooking/food books for a bit. Finally the boy selected a logic book and I decided not to get anything this time around. We checked out and headed to Cracker Barrel for lunch.

The girl had a scrambled egg, a biscuit and some bacon for her lunch and she made yummy noises the whole way through. She's a BIG bacon and eggs fan, that girl, which is how I know she's MINE. The boy has reached the size/age where I no longer limit him to the kid menu at any given restaurant, so he got the adult "veggie" plate with mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, steak fries and corn. VERY nutritious. Ugh. We only eat out about once a month so I don't really care what they get, but come on, boy child! Work with me here! At least get something that's not beige! He didn't like the mashed potatoes because they had skins, didn't like the macaroni because it had some "brown stuff" in it (scorched cheese, I'm thinking), didn't love the fries because they were thick, and ate all the corn. Sigh.

ANYWAY, after lunch we of course had to shop around a bit in the store. The girl bought one of those stupid weasel ball things with her own money. The boy hadn't brought any money, so I sprung for a $5 gyroscope for him (and a Hello Kitty Pez for the girl, and a Sky Bar for me).

Then it was off to the grocery store, then home where the boy became very very frustrated with his gyroscope because it was hard to wind and he wasn't pulling the string fast enough for it to stay upright. I told him it takes practice. He retreated to the computer, where he designed a perpetual motion vehicle thingie based on gyroscopes. So he's happy now, I guess.

We've been super busy around here lately. Last week the girl child had her last color belt test for taekwondo. Now both she and the boy are "recommended" black belts, which is a VERY big deal. I am really proud of them for sticking with it so long (~2 years so far) and for working so hard. And, most importantly, they're in the same classes again! Our schedule was pretty insane for a while there, with the girl in blue/brown/red classes and the boy in black belt classes (different days, different times). We still only have one day free per week now, and that's when there's no Dr. H, but at least the schedule is a little less hectic.

Also last week, the kids had dentist appointments. I've written in the past about how fun (NOT) it is taking the boy child to the dentist. Well, I'm happy to say that he did great this time! He did his bitewing x-rays and everything! No tears! We even had a new technician who wasn't familiar with his "quirks", and he did just great with her. Yay! He's really growing up!

The dentist was a bit concerned about the girl child's alignment, so we're headed to the orthodontist in a couple of weeks to see if it's time for braces. The kids and I are also going in for eye exams this week. The boy and I are a couple of months overdue for our yearly exams, but this will be the first exam for the girl child. She's been complaining that the words "jump around" when she tries to read, so we want to rule out any physical problems before we start looking at a possible learning disability. Plus, with our family history of eye/vision problems it certainly wouldn't hurt for her to get checked out.

So there's a slight possibility that the girl may be starting third grade with glasses AND braces. Fun! I think she'll look DAMN cute.

Nothing new to report on the bipolar front. She's been pretty stable lately. We still have our January appointment at Dr. #1, and we're still trying to get her in somewhere else but that's been a HUGE exercise in frustration so far. Gah! She went through this anxiety peeing thing recently and when I took her in to the pediatrician to get checked out, she (the ped) recommended psychotherapy. So there's yet another avenue to look into.

But for now, we're swimming. And going to the library. And eating lots of grilled food. School starts in five weeks! Ack!