Thursday, August 31, 2006

Breaking news!

Yes, I know, I owe you all a back-to-school update, but first I have to give you this exciting news:

THE BOY CHILD CAN RIDE A BIKE!

A two-wheeler! Without training wheels!

He and his occupational therapist have been working on this all summer. In addition to spending time on the actual bike, she has been doing lots of work with him on an exercise ball to help with his balance and bilateral coordination. Up to now he has only been able to do four pedals in a row without putting his foot down. So the goal yesterday was 8 pedals in a row, but something just clicked with the boy and he took off! He rode up and down the street, and then we went to the park and he rode there, and last night DH took the kids for a bike ride around the block and he rode for that too!

He's riding! Woo!!

He has made such huge strides in the past year, I can't even tell you. I don't know if it's just a maturity issue or what, but suddenly he can do all these things he never could do, like swim (under water, even!) and ride escalators and now ride a two-wheeler. Last night after the bike ride he said, "Now I can do all the things normal 10-year-olds can do!" Which made me happy and sad at the same time. But yes, he can!

Go boy go!